Deadline: Dec 3, 2021 - 5:00 pm
Sled Island is hiring a seasonal Marketing Coordinator to join our team from January 10 to June 30, 2022. This is a position partially funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program, therefore applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment period
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Who We Are
Sled Island is a charitable organization with the mandate of fostering understanding and appreciation of music & arts underrepresented in mainstream media, and to support the local artistic community through performance and educational opportunities.
Our main activity is the presentation of the annual Sled Island Music & Arts Festival, a pillar of Calgary’s cultural calendar taking place each June, that brings together thousands of artists, volunteers, partners, and attendees from across the country and beyond. We also present year-round artistic and educational programming through numerous community partnerships, aimed at increasing awareness of Sled Island on an ongoing basis.
Sled Island is a community-centric organization driven by values of curiosity and diversity, on and off the stage, and committed to principles of equity, anti-racism, and anti-oppression.
We recognize the systemic lack of representation of equity-deserving communities in the current non-profit art space, and strongly encourage members of Indigenous, Black, and racialized communities; people with disabilities; people identifying as LGBTQIA2S+; and women to apply.
Would you require any accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact us at email@example.com so we may meet your needs.
Who You Are and What You Will Do
This is a key seasonal position meant to support our marketing department in the months leading up to the annual Sled Island Music & Arts Festival. Working closely with and reporting to the Marketing & Communications Manager, you will be involved in all aspects of Sled Island’s marketing campaign, with an emphasis on content creation for our social media channels.
This job might be for you if you love to write and are able to adapt your writing skills to a variety of tones, subjects and formats; you are passionate about music and arts; and, you’re creative, curious and interested in developing your marketing skills.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Create, source, and publish engaging written, photo and video content on our website, social media platforms and via our newsletter
- Help create and maintain Sled Island’s TikTok account
- Engage and interact with the festival's online community on all platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok)
- Upload creative elements to the website to create artist pages (photos, videos, songs, etc.)
- Update Sled Island's information on third party websites (ie. Wikipedia, Songkick, etc.)
- Generate promotional music playlists for the festival
Media & Community Partnerships
- Renew existing media partnerships and identify & explore new potential ones
- Ensure fulfilment of partnership contracts obligations (e.g. logo placement, banner display at events, show sponsorship, etc.)
- Work with Sled Island’s Graphic Designer to ensure proper specs and timely delivery of advertising files
- Coordinate Sled Island’s community partners program & discount guide
Other Marketing Duties
- Assist with the production of the Sled Island printed program guide, including content creation and coordination of partner ads (specs, delivery deadline)
- Coordinate street marketing campaign, including volunteer scheduling and preparation of poster/flyer packages to be distributed
- Create events on online ticketing platform (Showpass) and compile regular sales reports
Sled Island recognizes the value of both paid and unpaid work and welcomes non-traditional trajectories. We encourage you to consider the entirety of your experiences (professional and otherwise), and combination thereof, when determining if you possess the following qualifications:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good knowledge of Sled Island, independent music and art, as well as Calgary's arts community, and understanding of the Sled Island brand (relevant content, tone-of-voice, values)
- Strong research ability (e.g. to gain a good understanding of the annual lineup)
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- High level of comfort creating & posting content to Instagram and TikTok
- Proficiency with Word & Excel (or equivalent), Gmail, Google Docs
- Willingness to support Sled Island’s commitment to values of inclusion, anti-racism, and anti-oppression
Preferred Qualifications (these are considered assets but are not mandatory to apply)
- Experience writing about music
- Experience working with graphic designers and knowledge of basic print and digital design terminology
- Basic photo and/or video editing skills
Job Details & Work Environment
This is a seasonal, full-time position (30hrs/w) from January 10 to June 30, 2022. Due to the nature of the position, the Marketing Coordinator is expected to occasionally work some evenings and weekends due to events.
Our office is located in Mission and is easily accessible by public transport. Paid street parking and limited free parking is available in the area. Please note that the office is in the basement level of a building, with no elevator. Remote work can be accommodated for candidates with mobility issues. Please note, due to COVID-19, our staff is currently working from home.
What We Offer
Salary: 30hrs/week at $20/hr, paid semi-monthly, plus professional development opportunities, flexible work hours, and access to free tickets for a variety of cultural events.
We have a small but mighty team that values collaboration, knowledge-sharing and diversity of perspectives and experiences. We strive to help our employees develop their skills and knowledge to meet their personal goals and encourage innovation and employee-driven initiatives.
How to Apply & Hiring Process
All candidates are asked to fill out this form instead of submitting a cover letter and to attach their resume. Please note that you will not be able to edit your responses after they have been submitted.
The deadline to apply is December 3rd, 2021, at 5:00 pm MST. If you encounter any problem with the form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications are held in strict confidence.
We use a standardized application method to help mitigate bias in our selection process. We appreciate and review every application that comes in but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will take place in December, online or in-person at the Sled Island office (2206a 4 Street SW).