Deadline: Dec 9, 2019 - 11:45 pm
VISUAL ARTS REGISTRAR - TEMPORARY POSITION
A city rich in arts and heritage, St. Albert has superior cultural opportunities for the enjoyment and learning of many. The Community Services Department strives to provide positive experiences in several areas, including visual and performing arts, as well as The Arden Theatre, International Children’s Festival of the Arts and St. Albert Children’s Theatre. With over 300 pieces of public art in our collection, the City of St. Albert has a vibrant and reputable public art policy.
The Community Services team is seeking to hire a Visual Arts Registrar to assist with all aspects of Public Art Collection registration, exhibition, care and maintenance.
This position will assist Community Services in building relationships within the local and regional visual arts community. Working closely with the Visual Arts Coordinator and the City’s Communications team, the Visual Arts Registrar assists with access, promotions and communication for the Public Art Collection. The Registrar supports administering the Public Art Program and Permanent Art Collection ensuring sustainability and documentation of the collection in accordance to the Public Art Policy and associated administrative procedures. This position is also responsible for the ongoing operational support of the visual arts studios in St. Albert Place.
The person we seek has knowledge and experience in the visual arts community and brings a strong understanding of art history, contemporary art and specialized visual equipment. The role requires knowledge of maintenance needs of a variety of media and a basic understanding of common art fabrication technologies. It is necessary for the Registrar to maintain effective working relationships with staff, outside contacts, representatives of other organizations, government officials and the general public.
The incumbent processes new and existing artworks including object database entry, acquisition and deaccession and monitors and documents the condition of new and existing works of art ensuring regular site visits to complete or supervise the completion of condition reports and photo documentation as needed.
This position assists with implementing, updating and maintaining the collection database and collection records and assists with access to the Collection including loans management, exhibition tour management, exhibition installation, location control, transportation, packing and logistics, indemnity and insurance.
- A degree in Fine Arts, Museum or Heritage Conservation, Museum Studies or a related program and 3 years of related experience. New graduates of a diploma in Cultural Resource or Arts Management may be considered.
- Knowledge and experience in art collection registration, collection database management and handling, museum and public art practices and procedures and moving fine art.
- Familiarity with curatorial practices and art installation, including risk management/legal, receiving, shipping, installation and documentation.
- Proficiency in art/museum collections management and Microsoft Office software.
- Skilled in the safe use of a wide variety of hand and power tools.
- Comfortable working with paints, solvents, and other similar products as necessary.
- A valid Class 5 Drivers License and a personal vehicle for work use is required.
TERM: January 9–December 31, 2020.
HOURS OF WORK: The Registrar will work 28 hours per week. This will possibly be four days per week, but there is an opportunity to determine the schedule in conjunction with our successful candidate. There is a requirement for flexible work schedule that allows for evening and weekend commitments, and occasional overtime.
COMPENSATION: $32.36 - $39.37 per hour.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory police information check.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and resume via the City of St. Albert employment website www.stalbert.ca/employment
CLOSING DATE: December 9, 2019