Reporting to the Director, Venue Operations, the Production Manager oversees Arts Commons’ Production department to deliver consistently high-performance standards in a welcoming environment that protects the health and safety of all staff, clients, and patrons of the building. This position plays a key role in providing exemplary customer and client experiences.
You are a collaborative and values driven leader who always exudes good judgement, tact and diplomacy in order to balance and meet the needs of a wide range of stakeholders. With a breadth of experience in the presentation of live events, you understand all technical aspects necessary for executing an artistic vision on our stages and spaces – on time, on budget and in a safe manner.
You are self-motivated and organized, with a strong ability to manage competing priorities in a dynamic and creative work environment. As a flexible problem-solver, you know how to find creative ways to keep production costs low, supervise and manage crews, and resolve any issues that may impact our teams, artists, presenters, and audiences.
Who we are:
Arts Commons is embarking on a new path to support the Arts Commons ecosystem inclusive of artists, resident companies, and community groups. As one of the largest performing arts centres in Canada, Arts Commons strives to break down barriers to cultural participation by providing a modern, open, and inclusive gathering space in a central location.
- Stewards of an arts ecosystem: Our mandate is to provide and care for our assets
- An Arts Presenter: Our mandate is to produce and present multiple series, presentations and education programs annually
- A Facilitator: Our mandate is to ensure optimal access and utilization of our assets, by ourselves, our Resident Companies, and the community at large
What we offer:
On top of the excitement of working inside one of Canada’s top performing arts facilities with a team of professionals that share a passion for the arts, Arts Commons offers a competitive salary and a wide range of benefits:
- A collaborative, engaging and values driven work environment
- A salary in the range of $67,500 - $84,200
- A comprehensive health and dental benefits package, with RSP matching and access to an Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- A positive working culture, keeping employee health and wellness a priority with generous paid time off policies and an annual lifestyle allowance
- A dynamic role that will have you engaging with the arts and communities in many different areas, and through different types of events and productions
What we value:
We are looking for individuals who share our vision of building a creative and compassionate society, inspired through the arts. Our team is made up of people with a diverse range of interests — singers, actors, musicians, playwrights, coaches, teachers, gamers, bakers, photographers, athletes, dancers. People whose interests encompass the widest spectrum. We even have furry, four-legged friends in the office. We value people who strive to do the right thing, and work to be their best. People with open minds, hearts and arms.
What you will get to do here:
Working within a creative and engaging environment, the Production Manager is responsible for ensuring that the technical, budgetary and safety components of all live events are in alignment with our strategic objectives.
As a liaison between presenters, the Production team, and various departments within Arts Commons, the Production Manager works to advance technical details for events and third-party shows and ensures that the vision of all artists and clients come to fruition. This role is responsible for managing both the Production team and the Production budgets, as well as approving stage labour bills, ensuring standard safety regulations are respected, exploring business development opportunities, and providing Capital Project support.
Oversee all aspects of production relating to live performances and shows, to ensure that all technical elements of a production are completed safely, on time and on budget.
Where you fit within our ecosystem:
The Production Manager is a member of the Production team within Arts Commons’ Venue Operations department. Reporting to the Director, Venue Operations, this position collaborates regularly with members of the Programming team, Resident Company representatives, as well as external promoters and presenters. This position also works regularly with the Bookings, Event Services, Finance, Ticketing, Facilities and Security teams to ensure the highest standards of event production and presentation.
You will be a great fit if you…
- 4-6 years’ management experience with increasing responsibilities in a theatre, concert hall, roadhouse or multi-venue facility
- Experience coordinating and managing the production of live events
- Rigorous attention to detail, logistics and financial acuity
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills – listening, receiving, clarifying, consolidating, mediating and conveying
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills necessary to prioritize and accomplish concurrent and often times competing assignments
- Excellent project and workflow management; accurate and on time
- Values and Customer Service driven
- Knowledgeable and able to work confidently within office software packages such as Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word
- Have sound working knowledge of all elements of production in all areas of the performing arts
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude
- A passion for the arts!
- Post-secondary education in Arts or Business, or a relevant diploma/degree from a recognized theatre school or comparable education and experience, an asset
- Experience with software applications such as ArtsVision, Solver, CAD and Ameresco an asset
- Experience with video capture and streaming technology an asset
If you are interested in applying to this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter in confidence to
205 - 8th Ave SE Calgary, Alberta T2G 0K9
Interviews will be conducted on an on-going basis and the job posting will officially close when a suitable candidate is found.
Please state the position you are applying for. No phone calls please.
We thank all interested applicants in advance but will only be contacting those selected for an interview.
If you have any specific questions to ask in relation to the role, please send them to the email address above and a member of our team will do our best to respond to you in a timely manner.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility (IDEA)
As part of our organization’s commitment to IDEA, we work to remove barriers in collaboration with a broad range of voices. Removing these barriers begins with the hiring process. To that end, we are committed to recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and providing accessible employment practices.
Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, and applicants are asked to make their accommodation needs known.
It is the unique contributions of all our people at Arts Commons that drives our success. We are committed to providing an environment free of harassment and discrimination for everyone, and we will continue to work to ensure that our teams reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.