The Calgary International Film Festival's mission is to entertain and engage audiences by curating the most innovative and compelling films, and creating remarkable festival experiences.
The festival is a 12-day showcase of up to 200 multi-genre films from Canada and over 40 other countries, hosting gala events, screenings, award ceremonies and special presentations. Additionally, the festival co-presents other programs, such as Doc Soup, throughout the year.
The Marketing Assistant helps the Marketing Director and other marketing staff implement the festival’s marketing and communications plan by assisting with promotions, production and distribution of marketing materials and outreach activities.
Additionally, s/he grows and diversifies the festival audience and fosters community relationships by planning and executing targeted communications and campaigns that connect specific community groups, associations, businesses and clubs to relevant festival films.
- Plan communications and promotions to targeted community groups
- Assist the Marketing Director and Graphic Designer in coordinating the printing of festival signage and other branded materials
- Assist with the distribution of collateral materials, such as festival schedules and on-site signage
- Assist in the execution of promotions including contests, special offers, promo codes, promo booths, etc. both leading up to and during the festival
- Oversee the execution for all pre-festival promotional booths and activities
- Oversee any planned marketing-focused “festivalscape” activities during the festival (such as promotions and instillations in the lobby)
- Work with the Marketing Director, Digital Marketing Specialist, and Ticketing Manager to facilitate contests and ticket giveaways
- Assist the Digital Marketing Specialist with social media monitoring and digital ad buys, especially during the festival
- Ensure the festival is included in all third-party event listings and event calendars
- Be present at screenings where large community group attendance is expected, as applicable, to meet attendees and deepen relationships, and collaborate with Venue Coordinators as needed to support smooth operations
- Follow-up with community groups and other partners to thank them and deepen relationships post-festival
- Provide detailed post mortem notes and archived files (hard and electronic) relevant to the position and the work accomplished following the festival
- Outstanding collaborator and team player
- At least two years of experience, or post-secondary education in, marketing and/or media relations
- Experience and/or an interest to develop skills in social media
- Experience and/or an interest to develop skills in graphic design
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills, including a keen eye for detail
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a deadline-oriented, fast-paced environment
- The ability to learn quickly, especially as regards the festival’s programming, so as to be an effective representative to community groups and other key partners
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with a focus on phone manner and interpersonal skills
- Personable, sociable and comfortable acting as a festival ambassador
- Adaptable to a flexible work schedule, including some evenings and weekends especially during the festival
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Start Date: Starts July 16, 2018; ends October 15, 2018
Hours: Varying throughout contract. Estimated average of 8 hours per week in July; 24 hours per week in August; 32 hours per week in the first half of September, and full time and above during the festival (September 19 - 30), which includes long days, evenings and weekends on-site; concluding with 12 hours per week for the remainder of the contract. Involves evenings and weekends, especially during the festival.
Reporting to: Marketing Director
Salary/fee: $5,850 flat for the contract
Email a resume and cover letter in a single document to email@example.com by Sunday, June 10, 2018. Please use “Marketing Assistant” as the email subject line.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.