GENERAL MANAGER OPPORTUNITY (PART-TIME)
Luminous Voices Music Society, Calgary’s professional choir is seeking a General Manager to deliver operational services essential for continued artistic success, educational programs, community outreach and audience development. This is a great opportunity for you to work with a respected and dynamic professional arts organization in Calgary.
As the primary contact for the organization for all operational matters, this part-time yet key role is suitable for a skilled arts administrator who is enthusiastic, versatile, and capable of professionally managing and communicating with our choir and all key stakeholders. The General Manager works closely with the Artistic Director and Board of Directors in areas such as marketing, promotion, website and social media maintenance, grant writing, donor relations, board relations, administrative elements of concert production, venue communications and coordination, box office and ticketing (with the Bella Concert Hall team), financial stewardship (with the support of a bookkeeper), and other administrative duties as required.
Important responsibilities include:
- Marketing & Promotion - Develop and execute a communications and marketing strategy in support of a four-concert Season with guidance from the Marketing Board Committee; Maintain and execute social media presence and content preparation, monthly newsletters (Mailchimp), and website maintenance; Draft concert and Season programs with content from the Artistic Director in collaboration with a professional design company.
- Artistic Liaison - Create and coordinate guest artist itineraries, travel, accommodation, and communication with the Artistic Director; Primary point-of-contact for choir relations (contracts, bios, schedules).
- Front of House Concert Production - Recruit and oversee FOH volunteers; Ticketing and box office coordination/communication with the Bella Concert Hall Box Office staff.
- Donor Relations & Fund Development - Coordinate our fund development strategy (supported by the Board) by stewarding current donors/sponsors and seeking new philanthropic and sponsorship opportunities; Grant application writing and reporting in collaboration with the Artistic Director (on municipal, provincial, and federal level).
- Financial Stewardship - Working with a professional bookkeeper, submit invoices and accounts payable requests as part of Luminous Voices regular operations; be part of the annual budgeting process (with President, Treasurer, Artistic Director).
- Board Communications & Relations - Take minutes at Board meetings (4-6 per
year); Coordinate and send Board Packages; Seek opportunities for Board Members to deepen their volunteer involvement with Luminous Voices.
- Education Initiatives - Expand Education and Outreach initiatives with Artistic Director (Conducting Workshop, open rehearsals, community sings, high school choral initiatives).
Working as an independent contractor, you will contribute on average 14-16 hours per week/70 hours per month depending on the time of year (larger workload closer to concert dates is typical). The position has the opportunity to grow with the organization, depending on the individual candidate and strategy of the Board of Directors.
We offer the opportunity to be a vital part of the arts community and nurture the art of ensemble singing with Luminous Voices and the larger Calgary, as well as provincial and national and international choral community. This position also offers independence and flexibility; a lighter summer schedule; an exceptional choir; and an engaged Board. The General Manager is expected to perform office and administrative duties in their home/remote office and is present in-person during performances, board meetings (which are often virtual), and other event/rehearsal opportunities. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working independently, capable of managing the diverse details of a small performing arts group while advancing its longer term goals.
You are collaborative, positive, and pragmatic and enjoy bringing together a broad range of individuals and organizations. You must be able to handle a large workload and conflicting priorities closer to concerts, events, and other activities (four self-produced concerts per season plus other applicable activities). Luminous Voices is passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and music-making environment for all. We believe every member of our organization, from board to staff to singers and guests, enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways of understanding and engaging with our art-form and the world.
To apply or to find out more about the position, please send your cover letter and resume to Board President Cathy Billington at email@example.com. The position will remain open until an ideal candidate is found. We will start reviewing applications on June 30, 2022. Salary expectations: $25-$30 per hour, commensurate with experience.
We thank all candidates for their interest in Luminous Voices. However, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.