EMMEDIA GALLERY & PRODUCTION SOCIETY IS SEEKING A PROGRAMMING DIRECTOR
EMMEDIA is a non-profit artist-run organization in Calgary, Alberta, Canada that supports both the production and presentation of media arts. EMMEDIA responds to a broad community by offering affordable access to media art production tools and facilities, services, technical and educational support, an array of production programs and residencies, and a year round schedule of public exhibition programs including the PARTICLE + WAVE Media Arts Festival.
Our programs strive to foster artistic dialogue and engagement through complementary activities such as artist talks and panel discussions, workshops and publications. EMMEDIA has established ongoing support from all levels of government, as well as its own self-generated revenues. Building on a proud 35 plus year history, EMMEDIA looks confidently towards a dynamic future and seeks someone to lead its Programming department.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Programming Director is responsible for all aspects of media arts programming and outreach at EMMEDIA, including working with the Programming Committee, administering calls for submissions, organizing programming logistics including artist travel and managing the budget for all programming initiatives, including the PARTICLE + WAVE Media Arts Festival. They are also responsible for communicating these initiatives to the public via the EMMEDIA website, social media channels and e-newsletter. The Programming Director also builds relationships with external organizations and works closely with the Operations Director and Production Director on all aspects of the centre.
Full-time position at 35 hours per week. Regular working schedule is seven hours per day, Tuesday-Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Due to the nature of the position, the Programming Director is expected to work some evenings due to meetings and events, with the opportunity to take time off in lieu.
Salary range is $38,000 – $42,000 annually. Additional compensation after probation includes attractive health benefits and health spending account, 10 days of vacation annually, 10 additional paid days off during winter holiday closure (coinciding with the last two weeks of December), professional development opportunities, and equipment/facility access benefits.
START DATE: February 2020 or negotiable.
- Coordinate and facilitate the presentation of programming. This includes the development and implementation of public relations and promotions, website information, to ensure the membership is aware of upcoming events.
- Ensure that all matters related to public presentations and the facilitation of artists visits are taken care of, including venues, travel, accommodation, payment etc.
- Ensure all programming related administrative tasks are accomplished.
- Supervise EMMEDIA volunteers where applicable, and temporary staff when requested.
- Develop partnerships and co-sponsorships regarding programming with other like organisations and educational institutions.
- Make recommendations regarding programming procedures, policies and protocols.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual programming budget and manage its use.
- Prepare programming grants and follow-up reports to funding agencies. Ensure deadlines are met in an organized and professional manner.
- Encourage a proactive and positive environment for all members, staff and public. Be a presence in the community and represent EMMEDIA in a professional and courteous manner.
- Work formally and informally with the membership and volunteers on EMMEDIA’s Programming Committee and other related activities.
- Coordinate program juries, selection committees, calls for submissions and publications with input from the Programming Committee.
- Working with CSIF’s Programming Director on all administration for Luma Film & Media Art Quarterly online publication including call for submissions, working with the Editor and Editorial Committee, and uploading content to website.
- Assist in the development of short and long-term programming objectives and goals in conjunction with Programming Committee;
- Provide regular activity reports to other staff, the Programming Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Work with the Production Director to develop, promote, and otherwise provide exhibition opportunities for EMMEDIA-sponsored production programs.
- Perform other necessary tasks and duties when required.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills. Must be able to work alone and as a team player to be an effective part of the organizational team.
- Is self-directed and has excellent time management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of, and experience with media arts in Canada with a passion and ongoing development with the arts community.
- Excellent knowledge of, and experience with programming in an artist-run context.
- Strong knowledge of how to promote and publicize programming initiatives using social media networks and web-based tools.
- Experience building relationships with members, volunteers, other arts organizations and artists.
- Experience managing volunteers is an asset.
- Experience with festival programming is an asset.
- Experience working in artist-run production centres, collectives or community-based organizations is an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of all levels of government funders is an assetExperience working as a media artist is an asset.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Interviews will commence immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
APPLY BY: Emailing cover letter and CV/Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Programming Director Application.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
EMMEDIA is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity, and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees where all perspectives, backgrounds and skills are valued.