Reporting to the Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications, the Marketing & Communications Coordinator is a summer contract position that will be assisting with the administration and coordination of Arts Commons and Arts Commons Presents’ marketing and communications initiatives.
You are an advocate for the local arts community and have a solid understanding of the digital landscape. You excel at building relationships, both online and in-person, in order to engage our audiences and effectively convey our brand and offerings. You thrive well in a fast-paced environment, and you collaborate well with others. You are an expert at telling visual and textual stories to support and raise awareness of Arts Commons.
Always the first to raise your hand, you possess an energetic and positive attitude with a willingness to jump in and support wherever you can. From project management administration and coordination of tasks, all the way to engaging with communities whether online through a virtual event or while out in the park at a live performance – you can do it all. Multi-tasking is second nature, and you are not one to shy away from any challenge.
Who we are:
Under new leadership, Arts Commons is embarking on a new path to support the Arts Commons ecosystem inclusive of artists, resident companies, and community groups. As one of the largest performing arts centres in Canada, Arts Commons strives to break down barriers to cultural participation by providing a modern, open, and inclusive gathering space in a central location.
Stewards of an arts ecosystem - Our mandate is to provide and care for our assets
An Arts Presenter - Our mandate is to produce and present multiple series, presentations and education programs annually
A Facilitator - Our mandate is to ensure optimal access and utilization of our assets, by ourselves, our Resident Companies, and the community at large
What we offer:
On top of the everyday excitement and buzz around being able to work with a team of passionate individuals at one of Canada’s top performing arts facilities, Arts Commons offers:
- A collaborative, engaging and values driven work environment
- Wage of $22/hr at ~32hrs/wk for an 8-week employment tern (June to August 2021)
- A dynamic role that will have you engaging with the arts and communities in different parks and outdoor spaces throughout the spring/summer
What we value:
We are looking for individuals who share our vision of building a creative and compassionate society, inspired through the arts. Our team is made up of people with a diverse range of interests — singers, actors, musicians, playwrights, coaches, teachers, gamers, bakers, photographers, athletes, dancers. People whose interests encompass the widest spectrum. We even have furry, four-legged friends in the office. We value people who strive to do the right thing, and work to be their best. People with open minds, hearts and arms.
What you will get to do here:
Every day you are immersed into a creative and inspiring environment, and using your passion for the arts, you are able to assist our teams in sharing and amplifying these moments to our community. As the Marketing & Communications Coordinator, the main focus of this role is to support the Brand & Audience Development team with the administration and coordination of marketing and communications tasks. These responsibilities include:
- Community Outreach – Hosting our booths, engaging with the public, and promoting our products at summer festivals and special events (following AHS guidelines)
- Market Research – survey development and execution, analysis and reporting
- Identifying and contacting niche groups to target for the 2021-22 Arts Commons Presents season shows or other Arts Commons programs
- Assisting with the coordination and execution of all social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, blog) campaigns
- Manage promotional marketing materials and update and order, as required
- Coordination of photography, including sourcing and booking photographers for events
- Manage and organize our digital photo library for internal access via our Digital Asset Management software
- Account coordination with a focus on the following areas: Event Services, IDEA, and community relations
Where you fit within our ecosystem:
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator reports to the Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications; working closely with the Brand and Audience Development team to effectively promote Arts Commons’ shows, drive ticket sales, grow our audiences, and elevate the brand by assisting with the administration and coordination of both digital and traditional Marketing-Communication initiatives for Arts Commons and Arts Commons Presents. This position works closely with the Programming team, as well as artists, community partners, and the public.
You will be a great fit if you…
- Proficiency with working in a digital landscape
- Excellent computer skills in the Office 365 suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc)
- Advanced writing skills with superior vocabulary; ability to express yourself, excellent grammar, and sharp attention to detail
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills
- Positive attitude, willingness to learn and ability to work both independently and in collaboration with other team members in a remote team environment
- An ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Availability to work evenings and weekends at Arts Commons Presents (virtual and in-person) concerts, shows, and festivals as a representative of the marketing team; developing our audience and communicating our offerings, as needed
- A deep curiosity of the city of Calgary and what makes it tick
- A passion for the arts!
- This position is being supported by the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program. This requires that only youth will be eligible for this employment opportunity. CSJ considers a ‘youth’ candidate to be between 15 and 30 years at the start of employment.
Nice to have:
- Currently working towards or possess a degree or diploma in Marketing or Communications from an accredited program, or comparable education and/or experience
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite software
If you are interested in applying to this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter in confidence to:
205 - 8th Ave SE Calgary, Alberta T2G 0K9
Please state the position you are applying for. No phone calls please.
Interviews will be conducted on an on-going basis. Position will close when a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all interested applicants in advance but will only be contacting those selected for an interview.
If you have any specific questions to ask in relation to the role, please send them to the email address above and a member of our team will do our best to respond to you in a timely manner.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility (IDEA)
As part of our organization’s commitment to IDEA, we work to remove barriers in collaboration with a broad range of voices. Removing these barriers begins with the hiring process. To that end, we are committed to recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and providing accessible employment practices. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, and applicants are asked to make their accommodation needs known.
It is the unique contributions of all our people at Arts Commons that drives our success. We are committed to providing an environment free of harassment and discrimination for everyone, and we will continue to work to ensure that our teams reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.