Deadline: May 11, 2021 - 7:30 pm
Interaction Design for Digital and Hybrid Performance: A Liveshow
- May 11th, 2021 at 7:30 MDT on Twitch.
- Register online: bit.ly/iuxregister
- Free/by donation
- Inquiries can be directed to Angus Thomson (he/him): firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to Savanna Harvey’s liveshow: Interaction Design for Digital and Hybrid Performance!
Since the COVID-19 pandemic started a year ago, we have seen so many resilient performing artists, collectives, and organizations adapt and take their work online. But digital shows are a brave new world, and that world has its own language (and I’m not just talking about Python or C++).
Join artist-in-residence and interdisciplinary artist, Savanna Harvey, online from her studio at cSPACE for a liveshow presentation, demo, and Q&A on digital dramaturgy and designing/writing/devising for interaction.
Learn how to create and implement exciting audience engagement devices for digital production IRL and in real-time: testing new contraptions, props, bots, and hacks. The event will focus on applied methods for online audiences to interact with a performer and their physical environment. Savanna will share her artistic process from the cSPACE residency and the interdisciplinary, dramaturgical principles of creating for intermedial interaction, which she believes is a vital next step for mainstream digital performance to thrive even beyond the pandemic.
Definitely not another Zoom room, this theatre-nerd-meets-Bill-Nye-the-Science-Guy event hopes to inspire with user-friendly, accessibly-priced technologies, demonstrating what’s possible with a little robot brains!
Suitable for beginner to intermediate digital and performing arts creators and either adapted-to-digital or designed-for-digital projects. Great for improving audience connection and engagement within adapted-to-digital work, and a fantastic opportunity to inspire new projects originating in physical-digital performance spaces.
About the Artist
Savanna is an interdisciplinary creator-performer specializing in alternative theatre practices (mask, puppetry, clown, collective creation, immersive, interactive, site-specific, installation, intermedial, etc.) She considers design and build essential parts of her creation practice, and has a hands-on, DIY, build it yourself, fix it yourself approach.
Since the pandemic, Savanna has helped 150 artists make the jump to digital as a creative and digital producer. She has written, designed, programmed, and operated over 10 major livestream experiences. She spent 3 years as a digital literacy and makerspace programmer in the public library system (robotics, coding, bookprinting, graphic design, video editing, stop motion, game design, STEAM, etc.), and is very excited to apply and share this knowledge in the arts.
This residency and stream are made possible by the Creative Incubator Residency program. Thank you cSPACE and the Calgary Foundation!
- Liveshow, streaming on Twitch. Viewers may register an optional account if they wish, but this is not required for viewing. A Twitch account is required if you want to participate in the chat, however, and this is for security purposes. You can pre-register an account at: https://www.twitch.tv/
- Automated closed captioning provided
- A recording of the stream will be shared on Youtube later in the week (register on Eventbrite to be notified, edited closed captions will be included).
- While there are strong visual components to the show (build and demo), there are auditory access points in host-audience conversation about digital dramaturgy, experience / interaction design, and making art in a pandemic. Audiences are encouraged to contribute to the conversation using the Twitch Chat feature, but are also welcome to participate by listening.
- Rated for a General Audience. No content or trigger warnings at this time. Confirmation will be shared closer to the event via email, however no changes are anticipated.
- Tone of the show: fun and educational
- Free/by donation
- If you have access needs that were not addressed or have further questions, please contact Angus Thomson (Apprentice Digital Producer): email@example.com
Savanna lives and creates in Treaty 6 and 7 territories in Amiskwaciywâskahikan-Edmonton and Mohkínstsis-Calgary. She is a white descendant of prairie settlers and has benefitted from the systemic racism and genocide of Canada’s indigenous peoples. She is committed to dismantling oppressive systems and fighting in solidarity with land and water protectors. Indigenous sovereignty and reconciliation should be the cornerstones of climate action because environmentalism without intersectionality is just white supremacy with trees. We are all treaty people.
Digital Creator Statement
This liveshow will be streamed live to Twitch (international servers) and utilizes an array of specialised hardware behind-the-scenes to make this possible. While digital communities and their required technologies have provided immeasurable relief from social isolation during the pandemic, they also contribute to increased power consumption, resulting in more greenhouse gas emissions, exacerbating the climate crisis. Increased demand for these products feed exploitative, inhumane resource extraction and unconscionable wealth disparity from techno-colonization. The planned obsolescence of technologies and inability or difficulty in self-upgrading or repairing our devices is a contributing factor to the catastrophic electronic waste crisis. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.
The internet has provided both a haven and a hell for equity-seeking communities online. IBPOC, LGBTQIA*, women, disabled peoples, sex workers, the elderly, and other vulnerable communities are frequent targets for online harassment, bullying, and exploitation. Rural and impoverished communities face barriers to sufficient and reliable broadband access and the tools to utilize it, putting them at a lifelong disadvantage in an ever-digitizing world.