The School of Craft + Emerging Media at ACAD welcomes applications for the following limited term faculty appointment starting in the 2018 – 2019 academic year:
Faculty, Jewellery + Metals
The Limited Term Appointment (LTA), Jewellery + Metals, will contribute to the breadth of the Jewellery + Metals undergraduate and graduate programs and demonstrate a critical and creative engagement with contemporary discourse. The initial term of this appointment is one (1) academic year; however, it is subject to review for a permanent faculty position.
The Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD), founded in 1926, is one of Canada’s most distinguished training grounds in art, craft, and design. ACAD offers a broad and dynamic spectrum of study at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Its 14 academic departments offer courses in diverse disciplines including art history, theory, and criticism; ceramics; fibre; glass; jewellery and metals; painting and drawing; performance; photography; printmaking; sculpture; sound; media arts; graphic design; advertising; character design and illustration. In addition to studio-based education and training, a strong program in liberal studies emphasizes the critical role that the humanities and social sciences can play in students’ development.
ACAD offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Innovation and renewal in our curriculum is an ongoing process that responds to cultural and technological shifts in arts, crafts and design practice and on students’ curricular needs. Our faculty is comprised of renowned professionals who are first-class instructors as well as active practitioners. As leaders in their fields, they are committed to building a diverse, stimulating environment for the exchange of ideas and the acquisition of technical skills and crafts.
ACAD is located in Calgary, Alberta in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Calgary is a cosmopolitan urban centre, with a diverse population of over 1.2 million people. This vibrant city has outstanding post-secondary and cultural institutions as well many varied recreational opportunities.
About the School of Craft + Emerging Media, Jewellery + Metals Program at ACAD
ACAD’s Jewellery + Metals faculty is a diverse, engaged group of notable teachers and practitioners connected to the field at home and abroad. The successful applicant will complement the energy and expertise of Jewellery + Metals faculty, teaching and working alongside students in the studio.
In the Jewellery + Metals program students explore the role of ornamentation, functional objects, historical precedents, emerging technologies and contemporary practice within a comprehensive, studio-based and theoretical program of study.
The School of Craft + Emerging invites applications for a limited term faculty position with a specialization in Jewellery + Metals. The successful candidate will complement existing instructional resources, design and deliver contemporary curriculum at all levels of the BFA and MFA Jewellery + Metals program, maintain an active professional/research/studio practice, and will support the institution through committee work and academic governance. Candidates will demonstrate a range of advanced jewellery and metalsmithing skills, a capacity for critical thinking and discourse, and knowledge of the history of the discipline. In combination with a collaborative spirit and professional commitment to the field, experience in academic service, curricular innovation, and Jewellery + Metals studio management will be considered an asset.
- Teaching at all levels of the BFA and MFA, Jewellery + Metals Program in relation to curricular need
- Actively contributing to curriculum development in the School of Craft + Emerging Media, Jewellery + Metals, and the strategic initiatives of ACAD’s Office of Research and Academic Affairs
- Maintaining a research/studio and/or professional practice; contributing to research and scholarship in the field of Craft, specifically Jewellery + Metals
- Demonstrating a commitment to continuing pedagogical and academic excellence
- Providing service to the Faculty and institutional governance framework, including outreach activities that contribute to the academic life and profile of the College
- Management of the studio environment (as appropriate)
The successful candidate will have:
- Completed an MFA or graduate degree in a relevant academic discipline
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the post-secondary level at all levels for a preferred minimum of two (2) years
- Demonstrable commitment to innovation in teaching and learning, as well as an active engagement in scholarly and creative activities
- A professional exhibition record in Jewellery + Metals
- Demonstrated technical skills, and a wide knowledge of all aspects of the discipline, with a regard for international practice in Jewellery + Metals
- Demonstrated knowledge of art history and contemporary discourse
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, time-management, and organizational skills
- The ability to facilitate collaboration in studio production or research
- A community-minded and team oriented attitude and an ability to balance research, practice, and pedagogy
Preference will be given to applicants with a strong studio practice in Metalsmithing and a capacity to teach in other departments in the School of Craft and Emerging Media or at ACAD generally.
How to Apply
>>>Please submit applications via our careers page (https://www.acad.ca/about-acad/careers-acad). The application must include:
- A cover letter
- A current CV that lists teaching experience (including classes taught) and evidence of an active studio/research practice (e.g. professional practice, creative activities, publications and/or exhibitions)
- A digital portfolio of recent studio work containing twenty (20) images accompanied by a corresponding numbered list including titles, medium and size
- A statement outlining your teaching philosophy
- A statement outlining your current research
Letters of recommendation are not required at the time of application but will be requested at a later stage, if application is successful.
Academic transcripts are not required at the time of application, however certified transcripts are required before an offer of employment is made in accordance with the ACAD Faculty Association Collective Agreement.
Applications must be submitted in one single PDF document.
Review of applications will begin on April 15, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled or the search is closed.
Further information about ACAD is available on our website at www.acad.ca.
ACAD is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of the institution. We encourage expressions of interest from all qualified applicants for consideration for this or other suitable vacancies although applications from Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
The collection of personal information is for the purpose of determining eligibility and suitability for employment as authorized by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act, section 33(c). If you have any questions about the collection of your information, please contact our FOIP Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.