Deadline: Dec 7, 2019 - 11:45 pm
The deadline for submissions has been extended for The Quenten Doolittle Memorial Gallery Exhibit: EveryBODY: January 16 to March 21, 2020. The deadline is now December 7, 2019.
The Pumphouse Theatre is a vibrant facility with historical significance. It supports and presents all art forms and creates opportunities for engagement, enrichment, cultural experience, learning and inspiration, while serving all Calgarians. To enable this, the Quenten Doolittle Memorial Gallery provides accessible wall display space for Calgary and Alberta visual artists to display and sell their work, free from commission.
We believe that everybody – of all abilities – should have the opportunity to express and share their creativity with the broader Calgary community. We are looking for visual art pieces that are created by artists with disabilities.
Submissions of any style, from realistic to abstract, and in any visual art medium will be considered, provided it meets all gallery requirements below.
Submissions must meet the following requirements:
- Artist must reside in Alberta and must be available for installation dates provided.
- Artwork must be produced by artists who identify as a person with a disability.
- Artwork must be delivered ready to hang (wall-space only)
Installation Requirements: All art MUST be equipped with picture hanging wire and D rings (a piece of metal hardware shaped like the letter D used on the back of frame or canvas as hooking device). Hanging cleats or flat metal hardware unfortunately will not be accepted.
The Pumphouse Theatre will install the work on behalf of the artists. Artwork may be dropped off or picked up by either the artist or a representative during the hours of 12pm and 6pm on the installation and take down dates provided.
Artist must reserve an installation and take down date via a provided online form or by contacting the Programming Director.
- Submission Extended Deadline: December 7, 2019 at 4pm
- All artists who submit will be notified with a decision no later than 2 weeks after the deadline has passed.
- Installation: January 12– January 14, 2020
- Exhibition: January 16– March 21, 2020
- Take Down: March 22– March 24, 2020
To apply, please send the following information via email or mail:
- Completed Gallery Submission Form
- Artist Biography (250 words max)
- A short description of who you are and your art background, training, passion, and/or any combination of the fore mentioned information
- Artwork: A minimum of 1 to a maximum of 5 pieces will be accepted
- Images of artwork only; do not send original works with application
All application may be directed to:
Attn: Kelly Malcolm, Programming Director, 2140 Pumphouse Ave SW, Calgary, AB T3C 3P5, Kelly@pumphousetheatre.ca 403-263-0079 ext. 100
Selection Process: Art pieces are selected by a committee of no less than 3 people and are a mix of artists and administrators. Selection criteria are based on suitability to the theme, technique, emotional response, creativity & innovation, and suitability to the Pumphouse Theatre gallery space and its patrons (ages 5 and up, representing various socio-economic and cultural backgrounds). Unfortunately, we are unable to accept works that feature nudity.
Any artists who need assistance with their application, would like a copy of the application form, or have inquires and questions are welcome to contact Kelly Malcolm, Programming Director, at any point.