Deadline: Dec 1, 2018 - 5:00 pm
Contemporary Calgary's mission is to provide Calgary and its visitors with a significant visual arts destination dedicated to modern and contemporary art. Contemporary Calgary shares a passion for art that is relevant, meaningful and challenging. We believe in the power of art to transform the places and the lives we live.
In June 2018, Contemporary Calgary entered a lease agreement with the City of Calgary to transform the historic Centennial Planetarium into a significant destination for modern and contemporary art. It will become a venue for exhibitions, distinguished speaker series and educational programs and will also function as a broader cultural hub. The Centennial Planetarium will be a place that is welcoming, accessible and inclusive to all.
Contemporary Calgary is non-collecting.
Contemporary Calgary is accepting applications for the role of Chief Curator. This position is responsible for all programs at Contemporary Calgary. As the leader of the Programming department, the Chief Curator is a passionate advocate for the visual arts, is able to provoke and engage a diverse public and helps to ensure Contemporary Calgary’s next generation of support. The vision, dynamism and leadership of the Chief Curator is essential to the aspirations and to the future of Contemporary Calgary.
- Develop a multi-year (1 – 3 year) program of exhibitions, publications, public programs and activities that support Contemporary Calgary’s mandate.
- Organize and curate exhibitions, write catalogue essays and other texts as required to support the program.
- Oversee, manage and mentor the Associate Curator to ensure the successful delivery of the annual program.
- Develop, oversee and monitor the annual programming budget and ensure that costs are contained and efficiencies realized throughout the annual fiscal cycle.
- Hire, train and supervise all programming staff and contractors.
- Develop, nurture and maintain relationships with artists, curators, visual arts professionals and organizations in Alberta, Canada and abroad.
- Develop and deliver keynote addresses, lectures and presentations to a wide public.
- Participate in and represent Contemporary Calgary in curatorial forums, symposia and other activities.
- Participate in the cultural and visual arts environment in Alberta and in Canada.
- Collaborate with the CEO, Board of Directors and staff to ensure that Contemporary Calgary’s policies and procedures reflect and support best practice in the field.
The Chief Curator reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Master’s degree in art history, curatorial practice and museology or equivalent.
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience, with at least five years of leadership-level experience in an art gallery or museum.
- Substantial record of achievement and delivery of extensive exhibition programs in the context of a public art gallery or exhibition space.
- Understanding of Canadian art practice with a focus on Western Canadian experience.
- Ability to work effectively in a small team in the context of a growing organization with demonstrated experience driving ambitious programming.
- Knowledge of museum standards and curatorial best practices, and reputation in the field as a nurturer of new talent.
- Superior presentation and writing skills with an ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight and varying deadlines and to adapt a work plan accordingly.
- Experience and involvement in a major capital building project or gallery renovation considered an asset.
- Flexibility, creativity and imagination are also key criteria for this role.
APPLICATION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Application Deadline: December 1, 2018, 5:00 PM MST
Expected Start Date: January 1, 2019 (Negotiable)
Salary: Commensurate with experience Term: Full-Time
To apply candidates should submit a letter of interest and CV in a PDF document by December 1, 2018 at 5 PM MST to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Chief Curator” in the subject line.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and inclusiveness. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.