Deadline: Aug 12, 2022 - 11:45 pm
Lougheed House is seeking a sound artist to produce a 6-10-minute (approximate) site-specific sound art installation as part of its new permanent exhibition.
Sound Art Installation
As part of LHRI, sound will be used as means for visitors to connect to the site, its history, and role as a museum. The selected artist will create a new site-specific work in response to Lougheed House that uses sound as the medium. This could take the form of a soundscape, a soundwalk, an intervention, or other forms of sound art. The work could ground the visitor in place (real, perceived, or imagined); communicate or trigger an emotion through sensory memories and auditory recall; it might incorporate narrative voice, or viscerally connect the visitor to history through the creation of an immersive, engaging soundscape.
• Enhance visitor experience through aural participation
• Provide opportunity for visitors to engage with the site through the layers of sound and space
• Use sound to provoke alternative sensory experiences in the visitor
• Help the visitor explore and connect to local history in unexpected ways.
Lougheed House staff will support the sound artist with access to the site, by providing historical context, and will facilitate connections with the Community Advisory Committee and other project partners, as necessary. The sound artist is expected to keep the LHRI Project Team up to date about the evolution of the project through regularly scheduled meetings.
The selected artist will be paid $10,000 for the completion of all deliverables outlined below. (Note: there is a separate budget for presentation hardware for the exhibit, it is not part of the artist’s fee). This project is generously supported by Calgary Arts Development. Application Assessment Artist applications will be reviewed by a team of internal staff and advisory committee member(s) in relation to artistic merit, conceptual connections to site, project viability, and the applicant’s ability to carry out project.
• July 20: Deadline for submission of any questions about this Call for Submissions. Send all questions to Kay Burns, Exhibition Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
• July 22: Compilation of questions (anonymous) and answers will be distributed to all interested applicants
• August 12: Call for Sound Artist submission deadline
• August 22: Successful artist notified
• September 12: Artist submits detailed project proposal
• September 19: Artist proposal approved; artist fee first instalment paid ($3,000)
• September - December: Creation of artwork
• December 30: Final artwork delivered; artist fee final balance paid ($7,000)
• Create a finished site-specific sound artwork for presentation in LHRI
• Participate in meetings with the LHRI Project Team to discuss project progress
• Visit Lougheed House to become familiar with the house, its stories, and its physical limitations as a heritage site
• Determine, along with the LHRI Project Team, appropriate installation locations and sound delivery methods, taking into consideration physical space limitations and accessibility requirements
• Develop an initial project proposal to be approved by the LHRI Project Team
• Advise on technical requirements and specifications for installation and exhibition of final artwork
The artist will retain copyright of their work. The artist is welcome to present it outside of Lougheed House in festivals or other contexts as appropriate with notice provided to Lougheed House.
Submission Requirements • • • •
Statement of Interest: Why are you interested in this opportunity and how does your art practice relate to this project? (one page maximum)
Artistic Intent: What experience and artistic perspective would you bring to this project; what concepts would you explore in this work? (one page max Professional CV (three pages maximum)
Sound Art Samples: Up to three samples of past work that best illustrate your qualifications for this project (please provide links to previous work via SoundCloud, Vimeo, YouTube, artist website, or similar; please do not send large video files)
SUBMISSIONS SHOULD BE SENT BY AUGUST 12, 2022, 11:59 PM MDT TO: Kay Burns, LHRI Exhibition Coordinator at email@example.com