Deadline: Sep 10, 2019 - 11:45 pm
In response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action, Indigenous Leadership at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is committed to better understanding the truth of Canada’s shared history with Indigenous peoples. This includes creating a dialogue between Canadians, and inviting each of us to enter into a respectful relationship with one another as we work toward shared purposes.
The Truth and Reconciliation through Right Relations program will develop a deeper understanding of our shared history, the meaning of reconciliation and the role Canadians play in improving our relationship by:
- Raising awareness of Canada’s shared history with Indigenous peoples
- Engaging in meaningful discussion about reconciliation
- Inspiring us to take individual responsibility through learning existing reconciliation wise practices
- Inviting participants to take action to achieve reconciliation in their own lives, communities, and organizations
What does the program offer?
This intensive experiential program involves learning through ceremonies, lectures, outdoor walks, creative arts practice, application of theory, individual reflection, and group activity.
The Truth and Reconciliation through Right Relations program will equip participants with new knowledge to:
- Understand the United Nations Declaration of Indigenous Peoples and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s process and Calls to Action
- Build relationships with Indigenous communities
- Advance right relations
- Communicate through deep listening
- Create partnership opportunities
- Share Indigenous ways of knowing
- Empower individuals to take action on reconciliation in their own lives
- Increase greater respect, understanding and meaningful connections between citizen
Who should register?
This program is an ideal fit for those who work with and are interested in improving and creating new relationships with Indigenous people, businesses, communities and organizations. This includes municipal, territorial, provincial and federal government employees, not-for-profit executives and board members, corporate executives, post-secondary educators, and teachers.
"(This) program is a not-to-be-missed opportunity to shift your awareness, deepen your understanding, and open you to innovative ideas for participating in this great work. The program is deeply engaging and transformative - I don't believe it is possible to walk out the same as you walked in."
-Shekinah Veitch, Shell Canada Limited
About Banff Centre Leadership Programs
Banff Centre Leadership programs integrate the power of the arts, the wisdom of Indigenous practice, and the extraordinary beauty of Banff National Park to prepare and empower the next generation of leaders.
Programs help participants bring creative and reflective approaches to a rapidly changing world, and connect leaders with others who share their commitment to positive change in Indigenous communities, businesses, non-profit organizations, cultural institutions and government.
If you are interested in Truth and Reconciliation Through Right Relations as a custom program for your organization, please contact us.
Registration Deadline: September 10, 2019
Program Dates: October 6 - 10, 2019