Deadline: Dec 3, 2023 - 11:45 pm
Employment: Part-time (Hourly) with flexible hours.
Hours: Evenings & weekends (with some weekdays) based on a schedule of shows and events
Start Date: ASAP
Starting wage: $16
Location: Calgary (on-site)
Join us today and see for yourself some of the many reasons why we were voted one of Alberta’s Top Employers!
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to:
Reporting to the House Manager on shift and Bar Operations Supervisor, our Bar Staff members are part of the frontline of the organization that is responsible for enhancing the customer experience for all Arts Commons’ patrons and guests.
You are a dynamic professional with demonstrated strengths in the service of alcohol, non-alcohol beverages, concession snacks, and all facets of bar operations. You are someone who is service oriented, charismatic, and friendly in nature. When you are not serving up drink orders, you are proactive in ensuring that the bar is fully stocked and that all areas are consistently clean and organized.
On top of being a strong team player and processing exceptional communication skills, you are great with numbers and cash handling, as required for working within a POS system for processing financial transactions.
As a positive and highly motivated individual, you contribute to the success of the organization by providing word-class customer service to all those who enter our spaces.
Who we are:
Arts Commons is an ecosystem inclusive of artists, resident companies, and community groups. As one of the largest performing arts centres in Canada, Arts Commons strives to break down barriers to cultural participation by providing a modern, open, and inclusive gathering space in a central location.
At Arts Commons
- That equitable access to the arts is a human right
- To redefine a bold and adventurous Calgary by championing and investing in creativity
- To be an inspirational force where artists, community and organizations celebrate cultural identities, experience the full breadth of human emotions, and ignite positive change
What we offer:
We cultivate a diverse community that encourages collaboration, connection, and empowerment.
On top of the excitement of working with a team of committed performing and visual arts professionals & enthusiasts at one of Canada’s top performing arts facilities, Arts Commons offers:
- A collaborative, engaging and values driven work environment
- Starting wage of $16/hr
- Paid sick days benefit for hourly staff
- Access to discounted tickets to Arts Commons Presents programming
What we value:
We are looking for individuals who share our vision of building a creative and compassionate society, inspired through the arts. Our team is made up of people with a diverse range of interests — singers, actors, musicians, playwrights, coaches, teachers, gamers, bakers, photographers, athletes, dancers. People whose interests encompass the widest spectrum. We even have furry, four-legged friends in the office. We value people who strive to do the right thing, and work to be their best. People with open minds, hearts, and arms.
What you will get to do here:
This position is part of the Client & Patron Services team which encompasses the entire Front of House operation at Arts Commons and is comprised of ushers, door staff, coat check attendants, bartenders and more!
Every day you are immersed into a creative and engaging environment as you are responsible for bartending duties within the facility’s theatre venues, including: the Max Bell Theatre, Engineered Air Theatre, Jack Singer Concert Hall, and special events.
On top of event bartending and general bar operations duties, Bar Staff contribute to the team-based Front of House environment by possessing enough knowledge of the venues to provide basic direction to patrons, welcoming and helping visitors, seating patrons safely and accurately, and regulating the flow of patrons in and out of the concert hall and theatres.
Where you fit within our ecosystem:
This role works closely with the Event Services, Production and Stage Door Security teams. The Client & Patron Services team is part of the Venue Operations department, which is responsible
for liaising with clients, booking events, providing Front of House services to ensure the smooth execution of events, and maintaining the day-to-day operations relating to Arts Commons’ venues and facilities. In addition, this role will work closely with members of Resident Companies and volunteer teams.
You will be a great fit if you…
- Commitment to providing superior customer service while displaying high levels of professionalism, especially in situations which may require the refusal of bar service in a professional manner
- An ability to build good working relationships and possess strong communication skills as required for interactions with a wide range of people – including customers and colleagues
- The ability to work calmly and efficiently, and make quick decisions under pressure
- Uphold AGLC regulations while exhibiting a strong attention to cleanliness and accuracy in dealing with beverage and concession sales
- Basic math and excellent money-handling skills
- Ability to work well within a team
- Adaptability to ever-changing work environments
- Strong awareness of surroundings in order to recognize potential issues with customers
- Valid ProServe Certification
- A passion for the arts!
- Applicants must be 18+ years of age
Nice to have:
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., an asset
- First Aid Certification and valid ProTect, an asset
- Previous bartending experience – especially for events or in theatre spaces, an asset
If you are interested in applying to this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume (required) and cover letter (optional) in confidence to:
205 - 8th Ave SE Calgary, Alberta T2G 0K9
We welcome applications from interested candidates year-round. Our doors are always open to new talent, and we are continuously on the lookout for exceptional individuals to join our Bar Staff team. We welcome applicants to express their interest as we engage in ongoing hiring for this role.
We thank all interested applicants in advance but will only be contacting those selected for an interview.
If you have any specific questions to ask in relation to the role, please send them to the email address above and a member of our team will do our best to respond to you in a timely manner.
Apply to join us anytime – We’re Always Hiring for Talent!
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility (IDEA)
As part of our organization’s commitment to IDEA, we work to remove barriers in collaboration with a broad range of voices. Removing these barriers begins with the hiring process. To that end, we are committed to recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and providing accessible employment practices. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, and applicants are asked to make their accommodation needs known.
We strongly encourage applicants who identify as part of underrepresented groups, including women, people of colour and those with disabilities to apply. Even if your past experiences do not align perfectly with every qualification, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway! An excitement and passion for Arts Commons can go a long way here, whether it’s in this role or another.