Reporting to the Production Manager, the Alternate Head of Stage is responsible for ensuring the efficient and safe running of Arts Commons’ events and shows. This position plays an important role in advancing our mission to bring the arts to life for everyone, both figuratively and literally.
You are passionate about the local arts scene and are energized by live performances. You possess strong knowledge of all the technical, mechanical and theatrical details that go into getting an event up and running – from client services all the way to advancing productions through areas such as sound, lighting, carpentry, rigging and stage management. As a natural leader, you’re able to view any challenge through a tactful and diplomatic lens.
Possessing both strong communication and interpersonal skills, you know how to build consensus within your team and act as a liaison between Production and clients, vendors, and other departments. You’re often juggling tasks but still understand the importance of meeting deadlines. While you can work well under pressure and remain cool and collected in the eye of any storm, you never leave anything to be an oversight – especially when it comes to stage safety.
Who we are:
Under new leadership, Arts Commons is embarking on a new path to support the Arts Commons ecosystem inclusive of artists, resident companies, and community groups. As one of the largest performing arts centres in Canada, Arts Commons strives to break down barriers to cultural participation by providing a modern, open, and inclusive gathering space in a central location.
Stewards of an arts ecosystem
- Our mandate is to provide and care for our assets
An Arts Presenter
- Our mandate is to produce and present multiple series, presentations and education programs annually
- Our mandate is to ensure optimal access and utilization of our assets, by ourselves, our Resident Companies, and the community at large
What we offer:
On top of the excitement of working inside one of Canada’s top performing arts facilities with a team of professionals that share a passion for the arts, Arts Commons offers a competitive salary and a wide range of benefits:
- A collaborative, engaging and values driven work environment
- An annual salary of $63,130
- A comprehensive health and dental benefits package, with RSP matching and access to an Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- A positive working culture, keeping employee health and wellness a priority with generous paid time off policies and an annual lifestyle allowance
- A dynamic role that will have you engaging with the arts and communities in many different areas, and through different types of events and productions
What we value:
We are looking for individuals who share our vision of building a creative and compassionate society, inspired through the arts. Our team is made up of people with a diverse range of interests — singers, actors, musicians, playwrights, coaches, teachers, gamers, bakers, photographers, athletes, dancers. People whose interests encompass the widest spectrum. We even have furry, four-legged friends in the office. We value people who strive to do the right thing, and work to be their best. People with open minds, hearts and arms.
What you will get to do here:
You are immersed into a creative and inspiring environment from the moment you walk past a cultural gathering on Olympic Plaza as you enter the building, to overseeing a live rock or classical music show on the concert hall stage, and all the other interactions in between.
As the Alternate Head of Stage, you achieve creative goals, anticipate problems, and drive solutions. In managing the stage, you are responsible for calling cues to orchestrate all moving pieces, and adapting on the fly whenever something goes wrong. As a leader and liaison, you will be the communication hub between clients, producers, performers, crew, and all other staff members involved with on the ground and administrative efforts.
Oversee every aspect of the performance process beginning with show development, and maintaining the integrity of creative products and live events through to curtain close.
Where you fit within our ecosystem:
The Alternate Head of Stage is a member of the Production team within Arts Commons’ Venue Operations department. Reporting to the Production Manager, this role works closely with the Head of Stage to manage live events and productions. This position also collaborates regularly with members of the Programming, Event Services and Finance teams, as well as third-party clients and external vendors. The Alternate Head of Stage also works closely with the Building Operations and Security teams to ensure smooth operations on the day of any shows or events, and the general maintenance and safety on the stage.
You will be a great fit if you…
- 3-5 years’ experience in areas relating to sound, lighting, carpentry, rigging and stage management
- Experience coordinating live events and working in live performance stage management and live performance production (e.g. Classical Music, Rock & Roll, Dance and Theatre productions, etc.)
- Knowledgeable and able to work confidently in Microsoft Office and Vectorworks
- Experienced in all aspects of rigging including operation of chain hosts and winches
- Experienced in all aspects of Stage Carpentry including maintenance and stage machinery
- Strong ability to lead and manage teams
- Must be able to read technical, mechanical and theatrical drawings
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- A passion for the arts!
Nice to have:
- Positive attitude and comfortable working in collaborative environments
- A relevant diploma/degree from a recognized theatre school or comparable education and experience
- Experience with Scenic and Construction Carpentry, an asset
If you are interested in applying to this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter in confidence to:
205 - 8th Ave SE Calgary, Alberta T2G 0K9
Interviews will be conducted on an on-going basis and the job posting will officially close when a suitable candidate is found.
Please state the position you are applying for. No phone calls please. We thank all interested applicants in advance but will only be contacting those selected for an interview. If you have any specific questions to ask in relation to the role, please send them to the email address above and a member of our team will do our best to respond to you in a timely manner.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility (IDEA)
As part of our organization’s commitment to IDEA, we work to remove barriers in collaboration with a broad range of voices. Removing these barriers begins with the hiring process. To that end, we are committed to recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and providing accessible employment practices. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, and applicants are asked to make their accommodation needs known.
It is the unique contributions of all our people at Arts Commons that drives our success. We are committed to providing an environment free of harassment and discrimination for everyone, and we will continue to work to ensure that our teams reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.