Celebrating 25 Years of Supporting Arts in Alberta
Download as PDF
Alberta Foundation for the Arts, the principal arts funding agency of the Government of Alberta, celebrated a quarter century of support for Alberta’s artists and arts organizations on September 6, 2016.
Since 1991, AFA funding has helped thousands of artists create extraordinary art in their communities. The AFA also promotes the arts, and manages an extensive art collection featuring work from hundreds of artists from all over the province.
“For 25 years, the Alberta Foundation for the Arts has been a core support for a vibrant arts community that inspires creativity and innovation in our province and beyond. Our anniversary is a milestone we are proud to celebrate with the community, and a wonderful opportunity to refresh and set a new direction for the next 25 years and beyond.” – Liam Oddie, Acting Chair, AFA Board of Directors
“Congratulations to the Alberta Foundation of the Arts for a quarter century of supporting, growing and preserving Alberta artists and arts organizations. I hope that the impact of the past 25 years continues to ripple across the province and future generations of artists as they share our stories, capture our imaginations, contribute to our economy and add to the quality of life for all Albertans.” – Ricardo Miranda, Minister of Culture and Tourism
AFA 25th Anniversary commemorative activities include:
- Commemorative Art Projects – A one-time funding opportunity for Albertan artists to create a legacy artwork, performance, or composition intended to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the AFA, reflecting our anniversary theme: Alberta Inspires. This opportunity will provide funding for to up to five projects to a maximum of $25,000 each, with both individuals and organizations eligible to apply. The deadline to apply is December 1, 2016.
- 25 Influential Alberta Artists – After receiving hundreds of nominations from the community, with additional input and recommendations from AFA staff and Board, we have honoured a selection of very special artists whose work and practice has had substantial impact on the development and evolution of the Alberta arts community. The AFA 25 Influential Alberta Artists were unveiled on September 30th during a commemorative event at the Capital Arts Building in Edmonton. See attachment for full list of artists.
- AFA Young Artists Prizes – The AFA 25 Influential Alberta Artists will each select a protégé or emerging artist who will receive a prize worth $2,500 each in 2017. Each will be revealed over 25 weeks on the AFA’s website in its news feed beginning in September.
- New AFA logo and website – The AFA logo, which has been in use since 2004 and is used by thousands of artists and arts organizations every year to indicate funding support by the AFA, is a symbol of the AFA’s deep connection to Alberta’s arts community. The 25th Anniversary milestone has been an opportunity for the AFA to contemplate this role and, as part of our commemorative activities, we are developing a new logo to reflect our intention to reinvigorate, cultivate and evolve this relationship in the future. The new AFA logo and website will be unveiled later this fall.
- AFA commemorative stories – Throughout the summer, AFA staff have been compiling stories about significant events and initiatives from our 25-year-history, and sharing them weekly through our website and social media platforms. We invite all Albertans to learn more about significant happenings in the life of the AFA and the AFA art collection by visiting the AFA’s 25th Anniversary page.
The Alberta Foundation for the Arts is the principal arts funding agency of the Government of Alberta. The AFA was officially established on September 6, 1991, with the proclamation into force of the Alberta Foundation for the Arts Act, 1991.
- AFA 25 Influential Artists - webpage | PDF
- Description of works displayed in AFA gallery during commemorative event - PDF
- Commemorative Art Projects - webpage | PDF
780-907-5516 | Paul.Pearson@gov.ab.ca